Invoice automation (also called automated invoice processing) is a maturing area of automation with limited implementation risks and significant benefits. Invoice automation would free up back office finance/procurement teams to focus on higher value added tasks.
What is invoice automation?
Invoice automation allows straight through processing (no human interaction) most of the time for the entire invoice process. Invoice automation involves
- monitoring for invoices: Invoices arrive in companies as PDFs, image files and increasingly rarely as hard copy documents.
- For digital invoices, an RPA bot or a simple email automation tool can flag emails with invoices and forward them for data extraction. Some companies use a dedicated email address for invoices to further simplify invoice monitoring.
- For hard-copy invoices, companies are switching to using a single address to centralize invoice scanning
- invoice capture: Extracting relevant details (e.g. bank account, ordered item) from the invoice. If software does not have confidence in the results, it is sent to employees for a manual check.
- evaluating invoice against order records and other criteria to ensure that the payment is indeed a valid one. Evaluations include
- cross-checking invoice against purchase orders
- cross-checking invoice for duplicity
- using working capital optimization policies to decide payment time
- using limits to to decide whether to manually process invoice. Invoices that are abnormally large compared to a suppliers’ usual invoices may need to be manually verified to ensure that wrong payments are not done
- recording invoice-related information in systems
- making the necessary payment to settle the invoice
All steps except invoice capture are rule-based processes. However, invoice capture relies on machine learning to extract the data in the invoice. For more, please read our article on invoice capture.
Before automation, back-office teams would
- look at invoices, understand the relevant data in the invoice
- feed it to the relevant systems so payments and system records would be complete
- In rare cases, team would notice irregularities in the invoice and contact the supplier or the ordering team to resolve the issues.
What are the benefits of invoice automation?
- reduced invoice processing expenses
- increased focus on activities with higher value add
- reduced invoice processing errors as personnel only focus on hard to interpret invoices
Why is invoice automation important?
Since the whole invoice management process is already digital, we have seen companies deprioritize invoice processing automation. This would be a mistake because even though the whole process is almost completely digital even without automation, it relies on a lot of manual labor. In the pre-automation process, invoices, the extracted data and payments are digital but the process is no less time consuming than a completely analogue process.
This issue of manual labor in digital processes is a widespread issue as companies focused on digitizing processes but not automating them. But this is being fixed as companies focus on automating repetitive processes. They achieve this mostly with Robotic Process Automation. Our collection of RPA use cases revealed that invoice automation was the most common area of RPA automation. If you are curious about RPA, we have the most comprehensive set of answers on RPA.
What are the leading invoice automation companies?
Invoice automation can be split into 2 parts:
- Invoice capture: This is the most critical part of invoice automation and is about extracting data from invoices. We have looked into invoice capture companies in our article on the topic.
- Rest of invoice automation includes rules based processes and there are 2 types of solutions
- RPA based solutions can help automate the entire process. Please read our article on RPA tools to see all 50+ RPA vendors.
- Accounts payable management solutions such as those provided by Kofax are providing specialized invoice automation solutions.
If you have questions, feel free to contact us:
Featured image source
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
What did you like about this post?
Appreciate it if you leave your name and surname so we can publish your review as a testimonial
Thank you for your feedback!